FREE SHIPPING on all professional books
Shawna Coppola’s unique voice and passion for engaging students in authentic, inquiry-based learning make her a sought-after consultant, writer, and speaker.
An educator for almost two decades, Shawna has worked both as a middle school language arts teacher (6-8) as well as a literacy specialist/coach (K-8). For the majority of that time, she has taught in multiage classrooms and is effective at engaging learners of all ages in reading, writing, speaking, viewing, and listening experiences. Shawna is a fierce advocate for all students—in particular, for those who may not fit the profile of a “typical” learner. In addition to working with students, Shawna has offered both courses and workshops for educators through The Educator Collaborative as well as through the University of New Hampshire’s NH Literacy Institutes as well as their Professional Development and Training program.
Shawna is the author of Renew! Become a Better—and More Authentic—Writing Teacher as well as a number of pieces that have been featured in Voices from the Middle, Literacy Today, The Reading Teacher, Education Week, The Nerdy Book Club blog, and others. You can hear her speak on a number of literacy topics on The Dr. Will Show, OCTELA’s Speaking and Listening Podcast, and Stenhouse Publisher’s Mentoring New Teachers podcast series. She has also presented at a number of national and regional education conferences, including ILA, NCTE, ASCD, and The Educator Collaborative’s #EdCollabGathering.
Shawna is devoted to helping all learners experience the joy that literacy can offer. When she is not teaching, she can be found dabbling with watercolors, writing comics, or exploring the beauty of her natural surroundings alongside her family.
Beyond the Book
If you’d like to book Shawna for your school or district’s next PD, email email@example.com to consult with our PD Specialist or click the blue “Book This Author” icon.
- Inspire Writing! with Comics, Picture Books, and Graphic Novels (Grades K–8)
- Practice What You Teach! Nurturing the Writing Lives of Writing Teachers
- Rethink, Revise, RENEW! Authenticating Our Practice As Teachers of Student Writers (Grades K–8)
- Rethinking & Revising the Tools We Use to Teach Student Writers (Grades K–8)
- Rethinking, Revising, and Renewing Our Practice as Literacy Educators (Grades K–8)
- Teaching Literacy Through an Inquiry Lens (Grades K–8)
- Using Mentors to Teach Writing (Grades K–8)
- Using Sketchnotes to Deepen Student Engagement & Comprehension (Grades K–8)
- Writing, Redefined: Broadening our Ideas about What Writing “Is” (Grades 1–8)