FREE SHIPPING on all professional books
Lisa J. Lucas
Dr. Lisa Lucas has thirty years of experience in education, as a teacher, instructional coach, administrator, consultant, and Associate Professor. She has taught in public, private, parochial and pre-school settings, and knows firsthand that education is a rewarding profession, but also a stressful one. In her current role as a teacher educator at West Chester University she researches and develops practical self-care stress reduction strategies for teachers. Why the focus on stress? According to a 2014 Gallup survey, 46 percent of teachers experience high daily stress during the school year—and that adversely affects teachers’ health, which negatively impacts student well-being.
Lisa’s strategies, based on empirical research, are designed to help teachers reduce stress by fostering presence through self-care and an inner awareness. Students learn from teachers who project enthusiasm, optimism and clearly enjoy what they do. They are present for their students. You can’t fake presence, but you can learn to cultivate it—which is what Lisa has focused herself on, personally and professionally, for more than two decades.
The old adage is true: You teach what you need to learn. Lisa has learned that cultivating presence is clearly an inside job: it begins with bringing attention to your own thoughts and feelings.
As a coach, Lisa is respected by her clients for her ability to challenge their mental models, helping them to successfully reframe from a traditional fixed mindset to focusing on a growth mindset, enabling them to create innovative and sustainable solutions to their everyday challenges.
Her vision is to work with as many school systems as possible to provide professional development that is focused on establishing habits and routines to foster a healthy school climate.
Lisa and her husband Andy have two wonderful children, a daughter Chelsea who is an elementary school teacher and a son Craig who is studying to become an architect.
When Lisa isn’t reading, she is biking, hiking, baking or on her yoga mat.
Beyond the Book
If you’d like to book Lisa for your school or district’s next PD, email firstname.lastname@example.org to consult with our PD Specialist or click the blue “Book This Author” icon.
- A Well-Trained Mind: Social-Emotional Awareness for Educators (Grades PreK–12)
- Creating a Culture of Wellness: Practicing Presence in Schools (Grades PreK–12)
- High Engagement Literacy Strategies to Promote Social-Emotional Awareness (Grades PreK–12)
- Practicing Presence: Mindfulness and Social-Emotional Awareness Intersect (Grades PreK–12)
- Simple Self-Care for Educators: Personal Sustainability to Foster Wellness (Grades PreK–12)
- Social-Emotional Awareness, Mindfulness and Mindsets (Grades PreK–12)
- Stress Reduction for New Teachers (Grades PreK–12)
- Writing Your Prescription for a Balanced Life: Wellness in the Workplace (Grades PreK–12)