More Than Bake Sales
The Resource Guide for Family Involvement in Education
We all know how crucial family involvement at home and in school is to a child's academic success, yet how do we achieve it? In More Than Bake Sales, James Vopat details proven ways of increasing parent involvement as well as providing the resource materials you will need to get started.
- Author: James Vopat
- ISBN: 978-157110-083-2
- Media: 160 pp/paper
- Grade Range: 0-12
- Item No: WEB-0083
We all know how crucial family involvement at home and in school is to a child's academic success, yet how do we achieve it? In More Than Bake Sales James Vopat details proven ways of increasing parent involvement as well as providing the resource materials you will need to get started. With illustrative examples from a variety of elementary and middle schools, the opportunities for family-school collaboration include:
- over two dozen curriculum-based parent workshops in writing, reading, family and community history, ecology, education standards, and computer technology;
- a tested model for developing parent-teacher leadership in which leadership is accomplished by doing, not talking about doing;
- practical and proven strategies any teacher can use to strengthen the home-school connection (how about starting your own Roving Parent Journal?);
- community-building activities that establish trust and improve communication with parents;
- accessible resource materials, including research articles, read-alouds, a list of helpful national organizations, and reproducible workshop formats.
More Than Bake Sales will help you increase parent involvement in your classroom and school in ways that support children's learning and academic success.
Table of ContentsPreview this book online!
3 1. "Where Are We Going?" First Let Me Tell You About Where We Have Been
2. Caution - Parent Involvement Ahead: The Mighty Acorns Parent Project
3. "Looks Like a Lot of People Having Fun, but What Makes It a Parent Project?"
4. Community Building
5. Enlarging the Literature Circle
6. The Roving Parent Journal
7. Whose Standards Are They?
8. The Legend of the Bright Blue Bush
9. Family History: The Project that Hits Home
10. Parent Leadership: "It Doesn't Happen Just Because You Say So"
12. Questions and Answers About the Parent Project
Appendix A: Publications and Organizations
Appendix B: Favorite Read-Alouds
Appendix C: Workshop Materials